Gardaí are advising people to be wary of rental scams, particularly at this time of year when students are returning to college.
There has been an increase of 30% in accommodation fraud in 2022, in comparison with 2019
- €1300 is the median amount stolen
- Approximately 50% of incidents occur in Dublin
- The return to college timeframe (August- October) shows a spike in accommodation fraud
- Over 50% increase in victims of accommodation fraud aged under 25 in 2022
- €291,452 stolen in 2022 versus almost €250,000 in 2019
For more information and advice on how to avoid this see the article HERE